Monday, August 20, 2007

Coco's Sorrow

Coco did not see us take the babies out of the nest box. It broke my heart when we got upstairs and she discovered her loss. We heard the most mournful cry of anguish. It haunts me! Coco cried and cried. She said "I miss...and then cried" just as Peggy taught her to say when Peggy left for Alaska. This has got to be the worst part of raising parrots! I would love to leave them with the parents, but the only life they can have is as pets, and it is so much harder to handfeed and tame them if they are left with the parents until they are weaned. I left Sunny with Coco and Charlie longer, and Coco attacked Sunny and began pecking her head, so I did not want that to happen again. Plus Sunny was far more afraid for the first few days when I started handfeeding than the ones who were taken earlier. I am so sorry, Coco, but I will do my best to take good care of your babies and make sure they go to good homes!!

No comments: