Thursday, August 23, 2007

I love how I look!










Of all the babies, #2 just loves to work his way over to the toaster oven and gaze at his reflection in the glass! Is he vain or is he trying to figure out what kind of creature he is?



I sent a friend of mine some pictures of the babies today. She was appalled at how "ugly" they were and told me to wait to send her more pictures until they had feathers! Well, I know they are not in their full stage of beauty yet, but I think they are kind of adorable. Maybe it is just because I am their mother at this point.


Seriously, I have always been fascinated by seeing the perfection of the development that occurs in such a short time in these little birds. Their feet must be nearly full size at this age! At this point, they have the biggest rear! One can hardly imagine how in a few short weeks these little guys will be able to take to flight! But right now, all of their weight is in their bottoms. What a perfect plan!! It keeps them from moving around very much, and it certainly makes them so bottom heavy that they are unlikely to take a tumble out of their nest up in the canopy of the rain forest. But their leg muscles are really developing as they seek to stand up and lift that big bottom off the floor! They remind me of those "weebles" they used to advertise back in the 70's... "Weebles wobble but they don't tip over."





No comments: