Friday, August 10, 2007

Checking the nest box!

This picture is of either Java or Kiwi at the same age as these babies are now. I had to start handfeeding them from the day they hatched because Coco did not know how, and was just regurgitating the food in front of them. It is nice this time that Coco and Charlie are now able to care for the babies themselves, but I want to be careful and not leave anything up to chance.


I have been researching the optimal age to begin handfeeding the babies. I find that most recommend around two weeks of age. I just found one that says to do it between 2-3 weeks. I have held the babies, just took them out quickly and checked crops to make sure their crops are full and healthy. I put a barrier so the parents can't see me or reach me and while Coco is down below eating I do it very quickly... REALLY fast!! It is scary putting my hand in the nest box, even if I see both parents below. They move so FAST!!! And I don't even want to imagine what they would do if they caught me! Charlie grazed my hand with his foot the other day when I was feeding them. I could not believe he could reach that foot so far out through the bars.
They have such a strong instinct to protect their nests! I've had Coco and Charlie for five years now, and so far, so good. I totally understand Charlie though. It is OK. He's trying to be a good dad. When the nesting season is over, we will go back to having long talks and lots of fun together.

No comments: