Monday, August 6, 2007

Baby #2 Hatched today


The second egg hatched today! The size difference between the two babies is incredible at this stage. Coco and Charlie are taking excellent care of the babies. They are nice and warm and the crop on the first baby is nice and full. I have to be very careful when I open the door to the nest box that they don't see me. They are very protective, but not as protective as they were when they were laying the eggs.

I am so glad there are two babies! When I had two at a time they were quicker to try new things, because one or the other would do it and then the other would follow. They would watch each other and one would try something new to eat and then the other would... Kiwi was always more adventuresome to try new food and Java is more willing to explore and examine toys, etc. I am sure they learn from each other and even get courage from each other. And they snuggle together. Many times I have offered Java something to eat and he would refuse to take it, so I would give it to Kiwi. He would carefully watch to see if Kiwi liked it and then go and take it away from her! Kind of like having your own personal taste tester on duty at all times!

Coco and Charlie are doing a really good job with the babies and I am so thankful for every day that they can manage the feeding...but I will take over before too long since I think the longer they are with the parents the harder it is to adjust to a different mom. Coco never seemed to be too upset when we took the babies, but she did not really know what to expect. She might have thought that is what happens when the eggs hatch...
The baby in the picture is a one day old! One of the earlier offspring of Coco and Charlie that my parent's hatched in the incubator. I am so glad that they have learned how to care for their own eggs and feed them at this stage. They are so tiny!!

No comments: