Thursday, August 9, 2007

Baby Amazon #3 Hatched today

When I checked the nest box a little while ago, I discovered egg #3 has hatched! Coco and Charlie are doing a great job. The babies look so healthy and are growing at a phenomenal rate. One can really see how much by comparing baby #1 to baby #3!!

The three babies are all nice and warm! It is so exciting that Coco and Charlie are handling parenthood so well. They had a rough start at parenthood. When Coco first began to lay eggs, they ended up broken on the bottom of the cage. This happened so many times that my parents eventually rescued the eggs and hatched the babies in an incubator and then handfed them from hatching. When Coco and Charlie came here, Charlie broke a few eggs, but Coco was able to bring two eggs to hatch in the nest box. With her first babies, she did not know how to feed them, and just regurgitated the food in front of them. Their cries of hunger resulted in more and more food being piled in front of them, until they were in danger of drowning! So I pulled them from the nest box. I hand raised Java and Kiwi, and Lola from their hatch date. But last year, Coco had an egg after I thought she was done laying, and I did not know it hatched right away! When I found the baby, it was healthy and well fed. So I left it with Coco and Charlie for two weeks. They did an excellent job with it until one day Coco became upset when my brother, Todd, entered the room. Coco started picking the baby on the head, so Todd brought it to me. I handfed Sunny and kept her until she was 8 mos. of age!

No comments: