Monday, July 16, 2007

Feeding patterns


Parrots are notoriously messy when it comes to eating habits. My brother has a theory that their purpose in life is to feed the animals on the rain forest floor! They drop more food than they eat! This would not be such a big problem in the rain forest, but in our homes....

Amazons love nuts and seeds, which do grow prolifically in the area where Amazons come from, but I feel that it is especially important for them to eat a wide variety of fresh fruit and vegetables. I don't think it is an accident that breeding season comes during the summer when there is such an ample supply of fresh fruit and vegetables. I have found that they eat the fresh foods the best if I give them small amounts frequently through the day. I give them fresh food probably 5-6 times during the day, every couple of hours, and give different things each time. If I give them everything at once, they pick out what they like best and drop the rest on the bottom of the cages. I found that they eat everything if I give 1-2 things at a time and then a few hours later, something different, etc. That way they end up getting 8 to 10 different fresh items a day.

Since Coco and Charlie laid the eggs I have just been feeding them twice a day, as it upsets them too much for me to be in and out more than that. Charlie has been a challenge since Coco started sitting on the eggs, because he takes the food out of the dish and throws it on the floor, to show me he will not tolerate invasion of his territory... but he's been going down and getting it after I leave. They hate the bottom of their cage...

No comments: