Thursday, July 5, 2007

This a.m. Java started saying his name, and he has been practicing using in in all different phrases. "Come here, Java!" Good bird, Java! Java, are you a good bird? He reminds me of a 3 year old child in the way he is saying his name. Even his vocal inflections sound like a child.

Jolly, Coco and Charlies oldest parrot, who lives with my brother, Todd, knows Mary Had a Little Lamb but very rarely sings it. When I come to see Jolly, she will say, "Mary..." like she is prompting me to sing. Todd says that Jolly just loves to hear him sing, but only sings when she thinks no one is listening. She must have the same self-consciousness that I do! Her mother on the other hand has a wonderful voice, with excellent vocal quality. She doesn't sound like a parrot! She can sing Mary had a little Lamb all the way through the second verse perfectly!

I played a game with Java one day, where I would imitate what he said. He had great fun with it and came up with all kinds of sounds as well as words for me to try to say. You could see he was really thinking of what else he could try with me. I wondered if maybe he would understand to start imitating me, as well... I used to do that with my therapy patients, see if they would reverse the roles.

Either that or he is teaching me to talk....

No comments: